Latest Press Release on Impeachment Trial
To read my official press release, please click here.
To follow the daily activities of pre-trial motions and to read the trial rules go to www.ltgov.texas.gov.
The trial will be live-streamed beginning September 5, 2023.
Texas Takes on Biden’s Border Disaster
While the Biden administration continues to turn a blind eye to the border crisis, Texas is stepping up. We won’t stand idly by as our communities bear the burden of the federal government’s failures. Texans deserve a secure border and an administration that prioritizes the safety and well-being of its citizens.
I joined Laura Ingraham on Fox News Friday night to talk about Biden’s dangerous border policies. Click here to watch.
At the beginning of this legislative session, I laid out the strongest, most conservative agenda brought forward in Texas history in the Texas Senate.
Once again, the Texas Senate has delivered. The Texas Senate passed all 30 of my priority bills. Out of the 30 priority bills that I identified at the beginning of the 88th legislative session, 25 of these bills, as Senate Bills or similar companion House Bills, have passed into law. This now includes a historic record-setting property tax package that we passed in the second special session. Some of those bills include:
- Ending Child Gender Modification
- Protecting Children from Obscene Books in Libraries
- Protecting Women’s College Sports
- Creating New Scholarships for Registered Nurses
- Expanding Mental Health Care Beds Across Texas with a Focus on Rural Counties
- Banning Drag Shows in the Presence of a Minor
- Banning Local COVID-19 Mandates
- Creating the first-ever cost of living allowance (COLA) for retired teachers and giving retired teachers 75+ a check for $7,500 and teachers 70-74 a check for a different amount as well
- Funding $350 million for law enforcement for the first time ever in 235 rural counties
- Reform to our power grid — more work still needs to be done on an ongoing basis for our fast-growing state
- Removing 67,000 small businesses with revenues under $2.47 million from paying the franchise tax. That removes 40% of all businesses from paying the franchise tax
- College Ban on “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion” (DEI) Policies
- Tenure Reform
Four bills that passed the Senate, but not the House:
- Universal School Choice
- Placing the 10 Commandments in our Public Schools
- Returning Prayer Time in our Public Schools
- Teacher Pay Raise
The Senate will pass these bills again in a special session in October. Hopefully, the House will as well.
We also passed a state budget that keeps our commitments without growing more than the rate of inflation times population growth and addresses key priorities for Texans statewide.
Most recently, the Texas Senate unanimously passed an $18 billion tax cut package, achieving my goal of delivering a $100,000 homestead exemption and providing lasting property tax relief for Texas homeowners. It is the biggest property tax cut in Texas history.
Some highlights of the legislation include:
- Over $12 billion will be spent on reducing the school property tax rate for all homeowners and business properties.
- Every homeowner who homesteads their home (approximately 5.7 million homeowners) will get a $100,000 homestead exemption.
- Non-homesteaded properties valued at $5 million and under, including residential and commercial properties, will receive a 20% circuit breaker on appraised values as a 3-year pilot project.
- The legislation will also include savings on the franchise tax for small businesses and create newly elected positions on local appraisal boards.
Overall, this session saw many significant conservative accomplishments. The Texas Senate fought for Texans at every turn, working night and day to pass legislation our voters asked us to address. I’m proud of every Senator: their ability, their intellect, and their work ethic. They are the best in the country.
Fundraising Continues Record-Breaking Streak
Campaign reports over $22,250,000 cash-on-hand
I was humbled by the outpouring of support for the work we have accomplished during the 88th Legislative Session. The grassroots and the business leaders across Texas agree with the direction Texas is heading. I appreciate the financial support.
Thank you all for your support and everything you do to keep Texas red. May God bless you and your family, and may He continue to bless the greatest state of all—Texas.
Lieutenant Governor of Texas