Shannon Bream asked me to come on Fox News @ Night on Thursday to provide an update on what we are doing in Texas to respond to COVID-19.
In case you missed it, click here to watch.
Texas is Ahead of the Curve
I also joined Bill Hemmer on Fox News this week to talk about the state-level response to COVID-19. You can watch that interview here. As you are probably aware, Governor Greg Abbott declared a state of disaster on Friday. Here are the details of Governor Abbott’s Disaster Declaration.
I talked with Chris Salcedo on WBAP in Dallas on Friday morning to discuss what Texas is doing to battle the novel coronavirus. Click here to listen.
Governor Abbott’s disaster declaration last week will authorize the use of all available and necessary state government resources to help manage the COVID-19 response. This will allow us to move resources to areas that need them most.
Texas continues to do all it can to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and ensure that we protect the health of every Texan. Public health labs across the state can now test for the coronavirus. San Antonio began drive-through testing on Friday and other urban areas across the state are slated to begin next week. Also, did you know one of the best weapons on the fight against COVID-19 is right here in Texas?
I know you have seen these tips that Texans can take as a precaution to protect ourselves and others, but we can’t repeat them too often. We can all do our part.
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Routinely disinfect personal and communal surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow. Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Maintain social distancing to help slow the spread of illnesses. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community.
- Explore handshake alternatives as pictured above.
- Click here to learn more about the steps you can take to protect yourself.
Updates and Other Information
For ongoing updates on Texas’ preparedness plan for the coronavirus and staying healthy, visit the Texas Department of State Health Services’ website. Information for communities and other specific groups on how to prepare and take action for COVID-19 can be found on this page.
Triumph of the Human Spirit
In case you missed this, in Italy the entire population of 60 million people are under quarantine, but in those difficult times, we can see how the human spirit can always rally people. Italians are singing to each other from their open windows and balconies in the streets of Italy. Here’s a clip.
President Trump has Designated Today as a National Day of Prayer
May we unite in prayer and turn to our Lord and Savior for strength and wisdom during these challenging times. Together, we shall prevail.
I appreciate your continued support. May God bless you and your family in this difficult time and may he continue to bless the greatest state of all—Texas.
Lieutenant Governor of Texas